April Fools' Day FBFF

This week's questions are about blogger etiquette and the rules of engagement.  For more Friend Friday fun, pop over to Modly Chic.

1. Guest posts are a good way to gain new exposure. What do you think is the appropriate way to go about securing a guest spot?
Well, typically our guest posts have been in response to a request for a particular kind of post or have been the result of swapping posts with someone.  I would say that for the most part you shouldn't try to solicit a guest post from a blogger on the blog of someone who you don't have much of a relationship or connection with.  It just seems like poor form to ask to write a guest post for a blog that you don't regularly read or comment on.

2. Leaving comments is essential to growing your blog. But how can you leave a comment without coming across as ‘Follow Me. Follow Me!’?
Well, I comment on a lot of blogs over the course of a given week.  Some blogs I visit daily because I have developed a strong connection with their authors over the course of the past year or so.  Some I visit once or twice a week.  I actually read the content of the post, and I usually try to respond to the questions asked in the post or to say something more than "cute shoes." I know people have different opinions about this, but I usually don't provide a link to my blog because I feel like some might interpret it as pushy, and I don't ever say in my comments "follow me" or "love your blog, follow me back."

3. We’ve all gotten a mass email at one time or another asking for blog exposure, a link exchange, etc… But the mass emails don’t work. How do you make your email stand out from the crowd?
I don't send mass emails as a general rule.

4. In interacting with other bloggers where do you draw the line between seeking support and begging for exposure?
Hmmm.  I occasionally ask other bloggers to participate in events (CFPs etc) we are having here at Fashionable Academics.  I comment on blogs and will sometimes name drop, but, while I love that we have readers and people who comment regularly, I try to keep in mind that this is a hobby for me.  Ultimately, this blog doesn't need "exposure."  I'm not in this for fame or sponsorship or the ability to quit my job and earn a living by blogging.

5. What’s one rule of engagement error you made and how have you remedied that?
During my first couple of months of blogging, I think I probably wasn't as tactful as I could have been in some of my comments and in the way I approached other bloggers.  As with everything, there is a learning curve.

Happy April Fools' Day!  Hopefully none of your pranks go awry.  My back is still playing tricks on me, so I've been rocking a heating pad as an accessory all week.  Hopefully, things will be completely back to normal soon.