Less Than 30 Days 'Til...

(Long and Winding Post...)



I'm not nearly ready to head out to AX but it's coming right up, and fast. I've got so many things to do before then; let me check my list... oh, no, I still haven't started my list yet! First thing on my list is to make a list.

The purpose of this post (if I have one) is to remind myself that it's almost go-time, and to make sure I start getting a few things done before I go to Los Angeles. Which reminds me: if you're reading this, and you're gonna be there too, let me know with a comment below, or exchange email addresses with me at jyoru1211@gmail.com. I will definitely be down for meeting other Morning Musume fans and having a good time... Who knows what will happen?

My mind is reeling with questions at this point. How will I survive this? What's the concert going to be like? How far away am I going to be from the stage? Will I get to see them up close at some point? Will I, even though I'm quite certain I've taken every possible step so far to do so, actually see the concert at all? So many things could happen between now and then, I'm just trying to stay calm and to get prepared.

With each passing day the tension rises, both good and bad. Good, in that: I'm beyond excited to go support this group and see them in person; bad, in that: I'm not all too keen on flying and travelling to places unfamiliar to me. Just have to keep a good mindset of, 'this is going to happen and it's going to be one of the most surreal moments of my life, and I'll love every minute of it.' I've been a bit of a local killjoy lately and I'm hoping that this opportunity to be far, far away from home (yet strangely, closer to things I hold dear) will give me a chance to lighten up a bit and, hopefully, I'll even bring some of that change back home with me. We'll see.

One of the most dangerous things about being a fan of Japanese pop music is that eventually you'll like so many artists that it seems impossible to keep up with them all!

Before I headed over to JapanFiles to (legally) download the B-side to 'Naichau Kamo' (the one MM song I didn't have), I read a little of Matt_D's praise for Urbangarde. I had previewed some of their songs at Japanfiles a while back and thought they were fairly interesting (an understatement), but after seeing the video below, I simply had to buy that record. Gave the entirety of "Girls Only Live Twice" a few spins today and it's like falling in love, all over again.



With an adequate supply of creativity and artistry, what we have here is music made *by* crazy people *for* crazy people, so I'm enjoying it a lot. Sorry if I seem like a copycat, Matt, but I love this video, too... it should be posted on every website, ever. There are so many things I want to know about this band, like, would they be willing to play at my birthday party next year, and every year after that?

Any capsule fan should be able to appreciate this stuff. Switch back to capsule after hearing this, and it's still awesome, but feels a lot more straightforward. There are a couple of really cool slower songs on the Urbangarde record, but to me, right now, it's all about the unhindered ballistic insanity that's going on. Quite the welcome find before my journey to a different world.

I usually don't have problems with stage fright, but whilst I'm in L.A., if I can make it to the AX Idol microphone (in front of Tsunku) without losing my lunch, I'll be doing well. Listened to quite a few Sharam Q songs today and, yes, now it's starting to freak me out. Can't say he's the best singer that ever lived, but he's got me beat, for sure. I still just want to be able to say that it really happened, that he actually heard me sing a Kayo Aiko song. Can't beat that. With that as the goal, I'll be fine.

Ever intent on keeping my mind as open as it possibly can be, I did a bit more research on Los Angeles. Let's not forget that Los Angeles had to steal its own water supply because it's in an unlikely place for a city so large.

Let's not forget that, among other iconic stars, Rudolph Valentino made a living in the area and was laid to rest in nearby Hollywood. Saw a Valentino performance (and not clips of the hubbub surrounding his funeral) for the first time in my life, last night.

I even got a chance to see some clips of James Dean and watch a part of "Rebel Without a Cause" for the first time (before you jump on me about this, remember that the list of movies I haven't seen is endless). I've seen plenty of 'JD' imagery in my life, and the guy is an icon, regardless of what your own opinion may be. So far, "Rebel" seems like a good movie, and it doesn't have to be the Best Film Ever to merit a viewing; but I have good reason to believe that had he not died in his prime, he might possibly have been worshipped a little less. There, I said it.

The old Hollywood scene is so fascinating to me, because so many celebrities' lives were so intertwined (and some of those relationships continue today). So if I get the chance on an off-day, I may attempt to journey to Hollywood, see a few sights and say that I've been there.

Inevitably with me, the focus comes back to music, and the epitome of Southern California music was arguably done by the Beach Boys (you thought I was going to say Snoop Dogg, didn't ya? Well, I like his music, too.)

I discovered Pet Sounds years ago and join the chorus of praise for that record. Until the day you can come up with a better one, I don't want to hear any contrary opinions. Even Paul McCartney (okay, fire away...) once said of the album, "I figure no one is educated musically 'til they've heard that album." Strong words, good album, good group. Might be trendy to think the Beach Boys are cliché but when you strip away all the furor over the group, shut your mouth, and open your ears, they achieved their end-goal of creating beautiful music, forever to be associated with this part of the world, ugly as it can be at times.

It's not as if there aren't some very fascinating stories to be found in the Midwest. And it's also not as if people who've spent the majority of, or even just a small part of, their lives in Southern California don't have reason to hate the area. Still, as a music and film geek, there's more to be found out there than there ever will be here. Find a list of recordings done in Los Angeles, and chances are that you'll see at least one you couldn't live without. Les Paul comes to mind at this point.

So what could be more of a milestone in the life of a full-fledged wota and music/film geek, than to travel to this legendary place, not far from where once-obscure personalities like John Wayne and Johnny Carson, and even Ronald Reagan (look it up) had a common starting point, just to see Morning Musume perform for the first time on the US mainland?

I have arrived. No, wait, I haven't yet. But soon, I will arrive!